Generally, we collect personal information through automated/technical means and when you voluntarily provide it to us. We describe that automatic collection here. We describe that type of voluntary submission immediately below. By using our online and mobile resources, you are signifying to us that you agree with this section of our privacy statement and that we may use and disclose your information as described.
Voluntarily Submitted Information.
If you choose to participate in, or make use of certain activities and features available via our online and mobile resources, you will need to provide us with information about yourself. The types of personal information you will be submitting to us in those situations is almost always limited to basic identifiers such as your name, email address, mailing address and phone number. Here are some of the ways you voluntarily give us your personal information:
- Emails and Texts – If you choose to send us an email from our “contact us” link or a similar link, you will be giving us your email address and any other personal information that may be in your message or attached to it. The same is true if you send us a text message.
- Creating Accounts; Signing up for Newsletters – If we make an account creation feature available to the general public (that is, to visitors/users who are not our customers or workforce members), or otherwise require you to provide information to access certain protected content or features within our online and mobile resources you will be giving us at least your email address and potentially other identifiers. The same is true if you sign up to receive a newsletter or other informational or marketing material we publish.
- Registering for Events – When you register for events, conferences or programs we ourselves may host (rather than outsource to a third party event manager with its own privacy policies), you will be submitting the types of identifiers described above. If the event requires a fee, we may also ask you to submit credit card or other financial information.
- Social Media and Community Features – Some of our online and mobile resources may offer social media-like community features letting users post messages and comments, and/or upload image or other files and materials. If you choose to make use of these features, the information you post, including your screen name and any other personal information, will be in the public domain and not covered/protected by this statement.
- Customer Portals and Job Applicants – Some of our online and mobile resources are used to help us serve our customers and allow candidates to apply for available jobs. We discuss personal information submitted in those situations elsewhere in this statement such as here.
If you prefer we not receive the above-described personal information, please don’t submit it. This means you shouldn’t participate in the applicable activities on, or use the applicable features available from our online and mobile resources. Such participation and use is strictly your choice. By not participating, you may limit your ability to take full advantage of the online and mobile resources, but most of the content in our online and mobile resources will still be available to you.
Automatically Collected Information.
When you visit or use our online and mobile resources, basic information about your internet/electronic activity is automatically collected through your browser via tracking technologies, such as “cookies.” As just about everyone knows by now, cookies are small text files downloaded onto your computer or mobile device. Cookies allow us to collect your IP address and recognize your computer or mobile device and store some information about your preferences for using our online and mobile resources or past actions, such as:
- the type of browser and operating system you use
- the date and time and length of your visit
- the pages visited, graphics viewed and any documents downloaded
- links to other sites you accessed from our online and mobile resources or used to navigate to our online and mobile resources
Additional information about cookies and tracking technologies is available here.
If you access our online and mobile resources from a phone or other mobile device, the mobile services provider may transmit to us certain information such as uniquely identifiable mobile device information. That, in turn, allows us to collect mobile phone numbers and associate them with the mobile device identification information. Some mobile phone service providers also operate systems that pinpoint the physical location of devices and we may receive this geolocation data as well.
Finally, when you use our online and mobile resources, we may allow third party service providers to place their own cookies or similar technologies in order to engage in the same types of collection we describe above. For example, we use third party “web analytics” services such as those offered by Google Analytics. For more information on how Google specifically uses this data, go to www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can learn more about how to opt out of Google Analytics by going to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
User Beware: External Sites, Apps, Links and Social Media.
We maintain a presence on one or more external social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn. We may further allow the community features of our online and mobile resources to connect with, or be viewable from, that external social media presence. Similarly, our online and mobile resources may contain links to other websites or apps controlled by third parties.